The internet has completely dominated the Earth. It is used by as many as five billion people on the face of this planet for different kinds of purposes including external and internal professional as well as personal communication, online gaming, social media, and movie and television series streaming.
To give you an idea of how big the five billion number is, let us tell you that there are a total of eight billion people in the world as of now.
In the case that you were thinking that the number of people connected to the internet is too huge, you will be shocked to know this: there are as many as 35 billion devices connected to the network of networks (and yes; that is what we call it because it is just such a huge bridge between devices and people!)
Do not trust us when we say this figure? Let us tell you that we took this figure from Statista – a global organization that has been reporting credible statistics since its founding in Hamburg, Germany a decade and a half ago.
All this massive usage of the internet requires significant infrastructure and a huge supply of the global network. Just in the United States of America, there are a grand total of over seven thousand suppliers of the internet according to the World Factbook of the Central Intelligence Agency!
By suppliers of the global network, we mean companies of the type of Comcast, that deliver exceptional Comcast Internet speeds to people’s homes in exchange for money.
From the preceding paragraph, we can see that there may very well be perhaps no bigger deal in the whole wide world than the internet. And there is no way that something can hold such a huge amount of influence and not be talked about by people.
In fact, the internet frequently plays a part in discussions in a wide variety of places, ranging from classrooms to dinner tables to office lunches. The chances are extremely likely that you have either played a part and/or will soon play a part in, at the bare minimum, one of these discussions.
In the case that you would like to contribute to these talks meaningfully, you have come to the right place! We say this with so much confidence because we will be pointing out many facts about the internet which you can then spew in these conversations.
Are you ready for them? Let’s go!
- This one is obvious through our usage of the term network of networks. However, we believe It is still important to stress. The largest computing network on Planet Earth is the internet.
- We have talked about this one too but we have to obviously put it in the listing because it is so important. There are as many as five billion internet users on Planet Earth. To give you perspective, that is two-thirds of us living on the planet.
- Yet there are many people in not-so-remote parts of the world that do not use the internet. The best examples that come to our mind are one out of every three people from Italy and 9 million people in the adult population of the United Kingdom.
- As many as 75 million servers are used to get the internet up and running. Fifty million horsepower are required for the proper functioning of the internet.
- As many as a million servers are owned by Microsoft and as many as nine hundred thousand are owned by alphabet inc. – Google’s parent company.
- In the case the internet disappears, millions of people will lose their employment. For example, as Google is based on the internet, Google will close when the internet goes away, and then all its employees will be laid off.
- Another thing that would happen in the case that the internet disappears is that paper would be used in much higher amounts. Deforestation at a huge scale can be expected.
- Every moment, hundreds of thousands of emails are delivered. Do the math and you will quickly decipher that this number jumps up to be in the hundreds of billions.
- People all around the world collectively spend more than a billion bucks on online dating.
- More than 60,000 workers work at Facebook.
We hope this factsheet gave you a better idea of the internet age that we live in.