There are several steps. Everything is significant. You made a big decision to commit to therapy. From there, came research to find a therapist in Texas. This process requires a good match.
But what happens once you commit and connect? How can you tell if your Houston therapist is right for you?
As with any relationship or collaboration, there will be unique factors involved. However, there are red flags to look for. To follow are basic signs that you and your counselor are off to a good start.
5 Signs Your Houston Therapist Is Right
1. They Meet the Most Basic Requirements
You never want to set your standards too low but there are some basics to consider:
- You want a therapist who pays attention and seems focused
- Your ideas and thoughts are heard and validated
- They are not offensive and do not regularly make you feel uncomfortable
- You feel like you are being analyzed but not judged
- You two “click” in a helpful way
- You really feel that they are interested in you and care about you
2. Houston Therapist With Appropriate Experience and Expertise
Now that the session has started, it is time to make sure that the person behind the credentials is compatible with you.
- Does your Houston therapist demonstrate familiarity with your concern or condition?
- Do they work with other clients with the same problem?
- Do they ask questions to help clarify what they don’t know to understand your unique experience?
- Have they expressed an understanding of your symptoms?
- Are you talking about what the treatment process is like?
Pay close attention while leaving room for professionals to do their best.
3. They Offer Various Solutions and Challenge You at the Right Speed
Therapy is not a one-size-fits-all approach. At Eddins Counseling Group we know that we each bring different backgrounds and experiences to the therapy room. Some tools work for some while they don’t work for others and the same is true with any style of therapy.
It’s important to be open and willing to try new things. It’s also important that your Houston therapist checks on you to see what’s working and what isn’t.
Having a more flexible style means they help you move forward without moving too fast too quickly. Sometimes, it’s just a doable conversation where you state your needs. The key is that you feel heard and validated and alternative pathways or tools can be explored.
On the other hand, your therapist will have to challenge you. This may feel a little scary and uncomfortable at first, but if you’re willing to take a small risk, you can get to the root of the problem.
4. The Houston Therapist Who Inspires Trust
Your therapy sessions can be difficult and challenging. Therefore, it is important that you feel a deep trust in your therapist. In order for you to be vulnerable enough to create results, your relationship must involve mutual respect and understanding.
Basically, boundaries need to be set and enforced. All of this (and more) is almost impossible to see right away. So, your initial session is when you and your Houston therapist do your own compatibility assessment.
5. The Intangible “Connection”
Since this is more of an abstract concept, it helps to regularly ask yourself how many of the following statements are often true:
- Even when I’m struggling, I look forward to my sessions.
- When I express my opinion, it is welcomed, validated and taken into account in the session.
- In the time leading up to my session, I don’t feel nervous about them. (Although, it is common to feel anxious before your session due to the anticipation of processing difficult emotions or situations in your life.
- My sessions strike a healthy balance between listening and speaking.
- I don’t feel pressured or rushed to share if I’m not ready.
- Instead, my therapist helped me take things on a deeper level.
- My therapist showed up with me.
- I feel confident in my therapist’s skills and their ability to help me.
- I was treated for more than just my diagnosis or symptoms.
- My identity and background are important and respected, for example religion, sexual orientation, age, and so on.
- My therapist’s office is a safe place for me.
- I grow, learn, develop, and heal.
Step One: Reach Help From A Houston Therapist
Finally, to get to the point where you assess your compatibility with your therapist, you must first begin the process. This can be the scariest step. However, once you make that initial phone call, your journey takes on new momentum. The Eddins Counseling Group will be happy to assist you on this path. Therefore, we are here to talk, explain and answer questions. Let’s connect as soon as possible.
Face-to-face counseling is available in Houston & Sugar Land, TX. With various therapeutic specialties available. As well as counseling and career tests. We have a comfortable and inviting office environment that is strategically located.
You can also have access to a Houston therapist from anywhere in Texas. We offer our services through online as well as face-to-face therapy. Allows you to conduct therapy from the comfort of your own environment, via secure video conferencing or telephone.
Ready to Find the Right Houston Therapist For You?
We understand the importance of finding the right Houston therapist for you! This is why our Client Service Coordinators work hard to help find the best match for you. At Eddins Counseling Group, scheduling is flexible and convenient. It’s very easy to get started, just follow these steps:
- Contact us to find the right Houston therapist for you.
- Schedule an appointment with the Eddins Counseling Center.
- Start your therapy journey with the right counselor for you!
Mental Health Services We Offer in Houston, Texas
There are many options for mental health assistance at the Eddins Counseling Group in Texas. Providing services not only for adults but also children and youth. Our services include depression treatment, eating disorder counseling, anxiety treatment, trauma therapy, ADHD treatment, grief counseling, and more! We also provide couples counseling and family therapy. Access to mental health support is important to us as therapists and counselors so we have three locations in Texas. Includes Sugar Land, Houston Heights area, and Houston Montrose area. Interested in our services but don’t want to travel to these locations? Don’t worry our services are available through online therapy for Texas residents.